
Address:
Uzdrowiskowa
72-600 Świnoujście
Stawy Młyny – Lighthouse in Swinoujscie

Medal available exclusively in our online store!
Stawa Młyny – a navigational beacon (German: Mühlenbake) shaped like a windmill, located at the end of the Western Breakwater in Świnoujście, where the Świna River meets the Baltic Sea.
The 10-meter-high structure is painted white with a black roof and features a pulsating navigational light at its top. Built between 1873-1874 during waterway modernization, it has become one of Świnoujście’s symbols and part of the city’s official logo. The “windmill” appears frequently on promotional materials, postcards, and guidebook covers.
A local legend tells of a heartbroken wife, Alicja, who wept for her aged sailor husband. A mysterious miller from the windmill instructed her to treat him with mud wraps, sea baths, and walks. After a week in the windmill, her husband emerged rejuvenated. Though the miller’s secrets died with him, people still visit Świnoujście for mud treatments and sea therapies. The beacon appeared in the 1976 film The Lighthouse Keeper (Latarnik) by Zygmunt Skonieczny, with temporary structures added for filming.
