Asenova Fortress

Asen’s Fortress, also known as Petrich, is a medieval fortress located in the Rhodope Mountains, about 2 km from Asenovgrad, Bulgaria. The fortress existed as early as the time of the Thracians and was rebuilt by the Byzantines in the 9th century to guard the entrance to the Aegean Pass and to secure the Byzantine border in the region. The first written records of the fortress date back to the 11th century and are found in the charter of the then newly built Bachkovo Monastery. These records show that Asen’s Fortress had its own army and administration. It was captured by the Crusaders during the Fourth Crusade. The fortress remained in use until 1410, when it was destroyed by invading Ottoman forces.
It is named after Tsar Ivan Asen II, who in 1231 carried out a number of renovations to strengthen it.

